CONNELLS Archives

November 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 08:25:40 -0600
On Nov 20, 11:00pm, Kevin Ring wrote:
> Subject: '74-'75
>
> In watching the video that so many of us have gotten recently, Mike "pleads
> the 5th" when asked the real meaning of the song.  Are there any guesses or
> any published true meanings for the song?

I remember a similar disclaimer from Mike in the interview that Art Jipson
conducted a while back and published in the now-defunct Boylan Heights
Digest, so it came as no surprise to me when he repeated it in the 120
Minutes interview. He says it doesn't refer to the years 1974 - 1975, but
if you look on the CD liner notes, I believe it is actually apostrophe'd
(is that a word?) and everything -- '74 - '75. I've never seen anything but
a year/season represented that way.

I thought it maybe referred to the ages 74 and 75, i.e., an elderly man
expressing regrets for some long-ago injury he caused someone or something
like that, but again, those darned apostrophes make it look like a calendar
year.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying I'm stumped, too. I think if it
makes more sense to you to interpret it as a year, then go ahead and do
so -- Mike Connell would probably be the first to say that his songs really
mean whatever they seem to mean to the individual listener.

Steve