CONNELLS Archives

January 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Colin Law <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:03:09 -0600
>>It's weird to me that the general impression from many is that Fun @
>>Games is one of their worst albums.  I disagree with the person from the
>>TCS list who says that George Huntley's songs are weak.  I think Sal is
>>one of the best on the album, and his songs stand up well with the ones
>>sung by Doug.  I'm still unsure about what is their best album, but it
>>might be Fun @ Games.  All of their albums are good in my opinion, and
>>this one brings out the band at their best.  What do others think about
>>George's songs?

Just to throw in my 2 cents...I really really dislike George's
contributions to the last few albums.  I agree 'Sal' and 'Inside My Head'
are catchy and fun to play (if you do play), but George's lyrics drive me
bananas.  They range from unbelievably sappy to just dumb (in my lowly
opinion of course).  The worst offense coming on Ring in 'Doin'
You'....lines like "I wouldn't bet the whale"..."the juvenile in your
eyes"...."seeing your fog and drive on through it"...these just make me
want to hit eject as fast as possible.

On the other hand...I've always thought '1934' was a great little tune, but
that one was long before George seemed to take this odd turn towards
introspective jibberish.  Oh, and Lay Me Down is also a favorite.

As for the guy complaining that half of Fun & Games is made up of George
songs...check again, he only did 4 of the songs.

>What do you all think of Mike's singing.  I think its an interesting change of
>pace.

I really liked his singing on 'Waiting My Turn' and knowing Mike, it was
probably a difficult decision to take on the vocals of a whole track
himself.  Long ago he would barely approach the mic on his side of the
stage.  But I think the vocals on 'Spiral' are pretty weak and perhaps Doug
should have sung it.

Colin

Colin Law                |
[log in to unmask]    |       One only needs two tools in life:
http://slashmc.rice.edu/ |
Dept of Space Physics    |           WD-40 to make things go,
Rice University          |        and duct tape to make them stop.
713-527-8750 x3531       |