MGTDEV-L Archives

March 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Weech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:59:09 -0500
Colleagues --

I'd like to take advantage of your collective wisdom.  Here's a challenge I
have just received:

Pick one -- and ONLY one -- book to give to new supervisors.  They will
receive the book as part of a two week "Introduction to Supervision" course
and take it with them to use as a reference item on the job.

I am looking for a book that covers a BROAD range of topics; as new
supervisors, the trainees need everything from setting objectives to giving
feedback to appraising performance.

I am looking for a book at an INTRODUCTORY level.  The trainees are generally
new to my organization and most of them have no previous supervisory
experience.

I am looking for a book that will be a good REFERENCE tool.  We do the usual
role plays and exercises in training, but as an educator I know that people
forget things.  I want them to have something they can refer back to when they
face their first performance problem, first performance appraisal, first bad
meeting, etc.

One more point: the trainees go to work overseas.  They supervise people who
are from cultures other than their own.  Becuase they are literally hundreds
or thousands of miles away from headquarters, they can't easily come back to
the training department (or anyhwere else) for immediate support.  They need
to have tools that will help them to solve simple problems on their own.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  Send your reponses to me and I will
post a summary to the list.

Bill Weech