CONNELLS Archives

May 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 16:13:14 -0500
> Also, I like One Simple Word a lot, better than Ring and probably about
> the same as the older stuff.  Anyone know why they weren't satisfied with
> it?

Somebody recently posted to this list and said that the band was
dissatisfied, I believe, because the record label and the producer
pushed them in directions they didn't feel comfortable with on
the record.

I specifically remember reading somewhere that Doug  was pressured to
really emote on the singing, really belt it out and was not allowed to take
his preferred approach, which is more laid back and understated. I
personally really like _One Simple Word_ and feel that the songs are
served well by an aggressive vocal style, but apparently Doug disagreed.
I have also read postings from people on this list who complain about
the "loud and harsh" singing on OSW. Oh well.

--Steve