CONNELLS Archives

May 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ian Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 10:26:55 +0000
I've been sat here in the UK watching these discussions tooing and froing
for some time now and I've not really had much to say.  However, do I take
it that the Connells have more than one album out, I thought they were a
new band and that Ring was their first album!!  Still they're a pretty damn
good group aren't they!!  I guess I must be a "bandwagon-fan"!
If you read the last two sentences with sarcasm in your voice then you'll
just about reach the most famously humourous English wit, and maybe you'll
understand where I'm coming from - then again maybe you won't!

About this discussion of popularity.  I see that a number of you like the
Oxford (England that is) group Radiohead.  Well if you go back a few years
they too used to play the college circuit here in the UK - great for us
Brits, not so good for you yanks.  Why?  Well, we could see them quite
readily - no wucking forries?!!  Now the band has become more "commercial"
and now tours outside the UK aswell.  Great for you people - no?  Can you
see where I'm coming from?

If the Connells make it big, and I sincerely hope that they do - then you
guys will be able to say "I was there" - Max Boyce, 1979, after the famous
27 - 3 Welsh victory over England (that's another story!).  You'll still be
able to see them - okay with all the other "bandwagon-fans"  but frankly
who gives a toss!  There is a name for people who think like those of you
who have been discussing "bandwagon-fans" that I like to use for music
snobs, and it is "Musoes" - there I said it, I feel better now.  Anyway has
anybody asked and members of the band whether they'd like to make it big?

Due to the "commercial" popularity of the single "74/75" I was lucky enough
to see the Connells for the first time in a small music club called the
Mean Fiddler in London.  If they make it big I wouldn't mind seeing them at
a large venue,  for one thing I'm sure the p.a. would far superior, despite
the loss of intimacy with the band.

If anybody has bothered to read this far I would like to thank you for
doing so and I would be greatful for the ensueing slanging match.  Long
live music commerciallity, down with the Musoes!!!!

Come and get me!!

Ian