CONNELLS Archives

May 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jay Pasquantonio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 12:56:37 +0000
I have to agree at least partially with Ian.  Just because you come into
knowledge of a band late doesn't mean you're an idiot.  There are few
things I hate more than a fan who thinks anyone who became a fan after
them is worthless.  Also, I really love to see bands I was able to
admire from up-close make the big-time.  The example of Dave Matthews is
a very good one.  You would pretty much have to be from the Mid-Atlantic
states to have caught on to their music before _Remember Two Things_,
but if your first exposure was MTV, so what?  I encountered DMB while I
was at Duke and most of my friends were saying, "Dave who?", then a
couple years later I loved going to see them with Big Head Todd at a
huge venue.  Another group I "caught at ground floor" is just starting
to make it big (The Verve Pipe) and is starting to get MTV play-time,
and I love it.  They love the attention, it is part of what they are in
the biz for, and it is exciting to watch the metamorphosis of new fans.
If you want the Connells to stay exclusive, we may lose them, because
they have said many times that if they don't start getting popular
recognition, they have better things to do with their time.
        In any case, we have little to do with whether The Connells make the
big time, and the only real effect we can have is positive.  I would
have loved to have seen them when they were touring here in Europe, just
to see how a German or English audience would react to them.  Plus, if
they become more popular, wouldn't it be cool to see Dave or Doug
climbing all over an arena, hugging people and dancing around like Lenny
Kravitz has been know to do?  Ok, bad comparison, but I wouldn't put it
past Doug.
        Sorry for the long post, but I've been quiet for a while and felt like
putting my 20 cents in.

Jay Pasquantonio

"Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night."

 - Dylan Thomas