CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Orren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:40:07 -0700
Just got the new disk. To those of you can't find it, fret not. The
official release date is 8/20- those of us who have it, got it because a.)
TVT is too lame to mark their shipments with a release date, so
storekeepers who don't also bother to check the overall list of national
release dates or b.) they harangued a storekeeper into selling it to them
early (as I did.)

I've got to say that I disagree pretty strongly with a lot of the reviews
I've read from other folks who have the cd. It isn't that great a departure
from the quintesential Connells style. Even the songs that are "different"
wind up coming back to a cornerstone of the Connells, be it Celtic guitar
riffs, or harmonizing on a chorus.

I also think that this album displays far greater musicianship than their
previous records. The chords are more complex as are Peele's rhythms. I
can't wait to hear this applied to some of the older stuff when played
live.

There is also a greater consistancy here. On every Connells album, amongst
there are a couple songs where you go "What the hell???!@" "Weird food"
doesn't seem to have any of those. I will say, however, that the lyrics
might be a bit subpar for the boys, but they haven't all had time to sink
in yet.

Although "Fun n' Games" will always be my fave for sentimental reasons, I'd
rank Weird Food above any of the other disks. Enjoy...

Mike Orren
http://www.iminet.com/Dmagazine
Production Director- D Magazine
1700 Commerce Street, 18th Floor/Dallas, Texas 75201
(214) 939-3636