CONNELLS Archives

September 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Scott Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:44:29 -0400
Recently joined the list and was pleasantly surprised to see a prof from my
alma mater (Miami University Class of '90) administering the site.

Some thoughts from a devoted fan:

Had it not been for a conversation with the band following one of their
recent D.C. shows, I wouldn't have known of WFAD's release.  On the day of
release, I had an extremely difficult time obtaining copies in the N.
Virginia area.  Best Buy in Dale City had 30 copies and placed many of them
in a highly visible "New Release" section.  With this exception, the other
record stores didn't have any copies on order, including Tower Records in
Alexandria.  Haven't heard any songs on WHFS either.  Since many of the
messages have bashed TVT for not promoting them appropriately, I will not add
to the text.

Has anybody seen the "Fifth Fret" video?  I've taped "120 minutes" for the
past two months hoping to catch it.  Also, does anybody have the techno mix
of "74-75?"

Luckily, The Connells have played this area numerous times since October '94.
 I have been fortunate to catch them six times.  A quick run-down:

1.  Oct 94  Bohager's Fall Music Festival - Baltimore, MD.
2.  Nov 94  Radio Music Hall - D.C. (w/ Dillon Fence) First chance to meet
and drink a beer with the band.  My wife and I met Dave and his wife by
accident in a Wendy's in South Hill, VA a few days later while travelling
over Thanksgiving.  He was happy to see me in a Ring T-shirt.
3.  Aug 95  Wolf Trap - Fairfax, VA (w/The Bodeans)  Performed an amazing
version of "Over There" complete with trumpet.
4.  Mar 96  9:30 Club - D.C.  Filled to capacity
5.  May 96 George Mason University - Fairfax, VA  They played an unannounced
show for the university's spring concert.  Luckily, a friend was registering
for classes and gave me a call a few hours before the concert.  I quickly
managed to leave work a little early to see them at 3:00.  The show started a
little awkwardly; they performed "Living In The Past," and then left the
stage for about 15-20 minutes.  The crowd wondered what was happening.
 During this time, I spoke with Peele and Mike and they said all was well and
that the show would continue.  They returned and put on a wonderful
performance.
6.  July 4, 96 - D.C.  This was a music festival in the streets of D.C.  The
Connells headlined and previewed some of the forthcoming songs of WFAD.  This
was their set:

(As written on their set list)
F&G
Try
Hang
Doin'
Maybe
5th
Boy
Gun
Tull
Let It Go
74-75
Scotty's
Motel
Slack
Sal
SCY

Afterwards, my brother-in-law and I were invited by Mike to go to a party
with the band.  For about 1 1/2 hours we drank Sam Adam's with them in a
private bar.  Doug was the only member absent.  Other than the band members,
Rich and I were the only ones present.  This was a very cool way to spend
July 4th!

Also, they were scheduled to perform at Hammerjack's in Baltimore during
April but it was canceled.  Many fans traveled to the site since the
cancellation was not announced.  Mike apologized fully when he learned of
this at the May concert.

My impressions of WFAD:  After a couple of listens, I love it.  Food for
thought (pun intended) - how great could this album have been if "Back to
Blue" and "On Your Honor" had been replaced by "Logan Street" and "Wonder
Why" from the New Boy EP?

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings.  Anyone in the D.C. area who would
like to possibly road trip to some of the closer shows of the upcoming tour,
please send a message.

SER