CONNELLS Archives

October 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 16:37:48 -0500
> normally I wouldn't reply to this, but I got a comment last night at the
> show about the KMFDM shirt that I had on.  Liking one genre of music does
> not (or should not) keep you from enjoying another.  Looking at my CD rack,
> you would think it was for more than one person.  It goes from nine inch
> nails to the mighty mighty bosstones to moby to aphex twin to KMFDM and so
> on...

It could be weirder -- like my collection.  In addition to the Connells and
the abovementioned MM Bosstones, it has a little of everything
from the 50's to the 90's, rock, pop, punk, metal, boogie, funk, new wave,
polka, blues, girl groups, Cajun, bluegrass, ballads, Texas swing, classical
(baroque, classical, romantic, post-romantic and modern eras), jazz
(big band to fusion), and new age.  It looks like the collections of five
or six people.  I've heard comments about the incongruity of my liking
one type of band when I also like some other type of band for so long
that it's long since started going in one ear and out the other.

For me, it's not so much that I include or exclude one genre or another.
It's more that if a particular song is well-crafted, original and just
overall listenable, regardless of its genre, I like it.  Although I generally
tend to prefer rock 'n roll and dislike country, I've heard tons of rock
songs I detest and lots of country songs I love.

The Phish comment, though, I think just reflects a dislike of Phish in
particular (I'm assuming this, since the writer doesn't understand how
someone can like both the Connells and Phish, and he himself presumably
likes the Connells or he would not be on this list), not whatever genre
they happen to belong to.  I'm guessing.

--Steve