MUMODEMS Archives

December 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Clayton L. Hines" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 10:43:09 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Joe Carlin) wrote:

>How can we convince MUnet to consider implementing appletalk over ppp?

The problem is, Miami, as far as I know, is moving toward a single
transport protocol -- IP.  We've got IPX (Netware) over PPP right now, but
I don't think that's going to last once IPX over IP (NetwareIP) is
provided.  I think your best bet would be to suggest that Miami support
AppleTalk over IP (which would work, in turn, over PPP for dial-in
users).  I'm not sure if Apple has or is working on an official AppleTalk
over IP mechanism, but third-party, non-Apple-approved solutions do
exist.

Now, as a former computer-geek student who was too chicken to speak up,
I'd recommend getting your friends together and going to ASG with your
suggestion.  I've seen Tom Adams in a number of MCIS meetings, and I can
tell you that students do have an influence in what services are
provided.

I am not saying that anyone will implement your suggestion -- I'm just a
little tech geek in a cubicle, incapable of making decisions for myself,
let alone for the entire university -- but you should certainly pursue it
if you feel it would benefit users.

Clayton