MUMODEMS Archives

December 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Van Etten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 00:28:30 +0000
Randy Kaelber wrote:

> Well, there's actually some nifty software to route AppleTalk over IP,
> called IPRemote, which uses a server (ARNS) to translate. I'm in the
> process of installing that server even as I write this. :) When I get it
> working, I'll make the server available to the whole Miami University domain.

What platform are you planning to run the server on?

It's my understanding that ARNS won't work with open transport.  (Is
this true, still true?)  I don't recall if this was a problem on the
server side or the client side or both.  If I remember right, it's
both.  I don't think I could go back to MacTCP for Appletalk access and
lose the benefit of Open Transport.  Switching back and forth between OT
and MacTCP isn't much better than switching between the ARA and PPP
servers.

I was looking at servers by sonic systems.  http://www.sonicsys.com/
They sell something called Quickstream 3.  Which if I understand
correctly, is an ARA server that gives appletalk access through a PPP
connection.

Also the upcoming ARA 3.0 is supposed to work through PPP.  I don't know
how this would work on the server side.  If it's a redirect or an add on
to the PPP server, it would be great, but if it's an add on or update to
the ARA server, I guess Miami would have to support the server update as
well and would operate through the limited 14.4 ARA modems.

Something to think about.