MUMODEMS Archives

January 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Kinne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 09:09:26 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
 (^Nicodemus^) says:

>I am regularly having problems connecting to the PPP service through Win95.
>This has been happening for monthes and always posting the same error, that I
>need to check my password and try again.  The problem is very random and one
>time it will connect, but the very next time I try, without changing settings,
>it will give me the above password error.
>
>Is there anything I can do to get more consistant connections?
>
>I am using Win95 and a Zoom 14.4PC modem.  I believe I must have the settings
>right, because I can occassionally connect.

Try using the Terminal Window login method.

On a Windows 95 machine:

-Configure your machine to use the Login Window
  Double click MY COMPUTER
  Double click DIAL-UP NETWORKING
  Right click MIAMI UNIVERSITY (your icon for connecting to MUnet)
  Click PROPERTIES in the pop-up box
  Click CONFIGURE...
  Click the OPTIONS tab
  Check the BRING UP TERMINAL WINDOW AFTER DIALING option
  Click OK buttons until you are back at DIAL-UP NETWORKING

  Now you have configured your Win95 machine to use the Login Window
  instead of PAP.  Double click on MIAMI UNIVERSITY and....

-Use the Login Window to connect
  Press the CONNECT button (you do not have to enter userid or password)
  Observe the CONNECTING TO MIAMI UNIVERSITY information box
  Listen to the modem connect
  Observe that the POST-DIAL TERMINAL SCREEN is made active (i.e. comes to top)
  Press the Enter key
  Wait a few seconds until you are presented with a USERNAME: prompt
  Type your Unique ID and press the Enter key
  Wait a few seconds until you are presented with a PASSWORD: prompt
  Type you password and press the Enter key
  Observe about 15-20 lines of text scroll across the screen.
  Wait a few seconds until you are presented with a prompt similar to
      TTY3@HUGACC020-2-2>
  Type PPP and press the Enter key
  Wait a few seconds and observe many strange characters being painted
      across the screen
  Find and press the COMPLETE CONNECTION button at the bottom of the
      screen (or press F7)
  After a moment or two a CONNECTED TO MIAMI UNIVERSITY infomation box
    should appear.  It will indicate your connection speed.

You may now use the MUnet applications.

I have tried to list every step, and every activity that you will
notice.  This makes the process seem more complicated than it really
is.  Give it a try and let us know if this works better for you.

John Kinne