CONNELLS Archives

February 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Schillinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:21:06 -0500
> > - UNCLE GREEN (Now 3lbs Thrill) although they used to be more layed
> > back... Brendan Benson produced their albums before he struck it big with
> > Pearl Jam, STP, etc...
>
>         Not to nitpick, but I think that's supposed to be Brendan O'Brien
> who produced their albums.  Anyway, a pretty solid band IMO, though I
> don't know if I'd lump them into a category with the Connells (who would I
> lump into a category with the Connells?)

3 Lb Thrill are great.  I got to meet them last time they hit DC.  Real
down to earth guys, leather suits not with standing.  Brendan O'Brien is
still producing their records.  There next one should be out this year if
I remember right.

>         However, that said, Brendan _Benson_ is a guy who collaborated a
> bit with Jason Falkner (of the Grays, Jellyfish, and the 3 O'Clock) on his
> album _One Mississippi_ released last year.  Anyway, I only mention it
> because it's a really good album.  Very nice pop, with a bit of a Southern
> feel to it.  Some really cool transitions between the first couple
> of songs.  Again, other than the general pop label (which I even
> hesitate to apply to the Connells) I wouldn't associate him with the
> Connells sound-wise.  However, some of the people I know who like the
> Connells are also big into Brendan Benson (as well as Jason Falkner--who
> is awesome, but that's another story.)

If y'all don't have Brendon Benson's record, you should.  Same and more
goes for Jason Falkner.  He's an amazing talent.

> I know there was talk going around the list for awhile about Dillon Fence
> (at least I think there was...)  They don't sound much like the Connells,
> but I guess I always associate the two.  Anyway, has anyone listened to
> Hobex (Greg Humphries' new band)?  What does anyone think?

Dillon Fence always struck me as more soulful than the Connells.  One of
the best shows I ever saw was DF opening for the Connells at all WUST
Hall (now the new 930 Club) in DC.

Hobex is great.  Not at all like DF, let alone the Connells.  Very
groovy, very soul.  I got to see them live a couple of weeks ago and
they're awesome.  My buddy and I had the honor of jump starting their
van, the battery of which died as they arrived.  The drummer of Hobex
used to be in Johnny Quest.  Didn't Peele used to be in that band to?

Granger is Scott Carle and Kent Alphin's new band.  They are much more
like the Connells and Dillon Fence.

later,

steve