CONNELLS Archives

February 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ryan C. Hayward" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:59:24 -0500
> - UNCLE GREEN (Now 3lbs Thrill) although they used to be more layed
> back... Brendan Benson produced their albums before he struck it big with
> Pearl Jam, STP, etc...

        Not to nitpick, but I think that's supposed to be Brendan O'Brien
who produced their albums.  Anyway, a pretty solid band IMO, though I
don't know if I'd lump them into a category with the Connells (who would I
lump into a category with the Connells?)
        However, that said, Brendan _Benson_ is a guy who collaborated a
bit with Jason Falkner (of the Grays, Jellyfish, and the 3 O'Clock) on his
album _One Mississippi_ released last year.  Anyway, I only mention it
because it's a really good album.  Very nice pop, with a bit of a Southern
feel to it.  Some really cool transitions between the first couple
of songs.  Again, other than the general pop label (which I even
hesitate to apply to the Connells) I wouldn't associate him with the
Connells sound-wise.  However, some of the people I know who like the
Connells are also big into Brendan Benson (as well as Jason Falkner--who
is awesome, but that's another story.)

> - RED HOUSE PAINTERS (prepare to get depressed)

Another excellent band, based on the stuff that I've heard.

I know there was talk going around the list for awhile about Dillon Fence
(at least I think there was...)  They don't sound much like the Connells,
but I guess I always associate the two.  Anyway, has anyone listened to
Hobex (Greg Humphries' new band)?  What does anyone think?

Sorry to post so much lately... I promise to keep it down.  :-)

                        -Ryan