CONNELLS Archives

March 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 20:36:14 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:16:57 -0500 (EST)
From: (name witheld)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Good Times!

Thanks to Microsoft and the *Really Smart* people who use their software,
our old favorite, the Good Times virus, has come to life!

-Tad

 Article: 6622 of git.announce
 Subject: Email Virus Warning
 Date: 28 Feb 1997 09:23:15 -0500

 ****EMAIL VIRUS WARNING****
 [From the WREK News Department]

        The McAfee Corporation has detected the first-of-its-kind computer virus that
is passed thru
 email, called "ShareFun". Here is the basics:

 1) An email account recieves an email with the subject "You have GOT to read th
is!"
 2) The virus in this email attaches itself to either MS Word (version 6 or 7) o
r MS Mail
 3) The virus is active the next time your open MS Word or MS Mail and spreads t
o all docments
     and emails in that computer
 4) Currently, McAfee has found data or computer damage caused by this virus, bu
t students and staff
     should take precautions.

 For more information, here are three sources you can follow:

 1) WREK News, Monday-Friday at 5pm [WREK News Review at 5pm on Monday]
 2) The Atlanta Business Chronicle (Who tipped me off about the story)
 3) The McAfee Corporation Press release @ http://www.mcafee.com/corp/press/0224
97.html

 Rahul Bali
 WREK News Director
 "Hey, who else was going to tell you?" :)

--

*** I sincerely DOUBT that this information is bogus. The guy who brought
me the news is a good friend who happens to be a Computer Science major at

-Drew

-I AM *NOT* SHI**ING YOU!
       ^^^