CONNELLS Archives

March 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:41:58 -0700
Hi all,

With regard to the recent postings concerning the Connells and salt Lake
City, I just wanted to add a little history as I lived in SLC from 1986-93
when I attended the UofU and got my PhD.  The Connells bandwagon really
got started there by KJQ, the commercial alternative station, which came
back on the air about the same time that Boylan Heights was released.
Their previous station KCGL was bought out about a year before.  The
Connells were popular enough at the U that a couple of bands that started
up about that time said the Connells were one of their biggest influences.

Interestingly, one of the DJs at KJQ conducted a telephone interview with
George and asked if they were pleased with the success of their debut
album Boylan Heights and after a short period of stunned silence, George
mentioned that they had put out Darker Days 2 years before.  This was
understandable as Blackpark only sent about 5 copies of the album to SLC
in 1986, so if you thought it is hard to find now, it was impossible to
find back then.

I have talked to Mike and Doug and David several times about this and they
generally agree that the Salt Lake area has maybe the best Connells
following outside of the Southeast.

Bill Cross