CONNELLS Archives

October 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dana McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 22:13:44 -0400
  I went to see Hobex at The Brewery Thursday night. (Hobex is the soul
band by ex-Dillon Fence frontman Greg Humphreys). It was
Johnny-from-Queen-Sarah-Saturday's last night in town (going to
California) and all these people were taking him out for one last night,
including all 5 of the long-time Connells.
  I first talked to David and he said that they are recording NEXT MONTH
in California with a guy who did some Tom Petty and Rolling Stones
albums. I didn't recognize his name. I forgot to ask how David's wife is
doing.
  Next, I talked to Doug who was hysterical. He was only 1 sheet to the
wind, but was still able to talk at length about his bowels. It was
pretty funny. We talked about how atrocious his diet used to be and how
he is one a high fiber, high bean diet. He almost made himself out to be
that guy in "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka" who was married to the bean cook.
("Would you like a bean soda?") He said he used to go to Char-Grill all
the time, but now will only eat nice meat. When I asked him how he
handled the gas being married and all, he said he just walks into the
next room and lets 'em rip!
  The bottom line here is that he really feels great these days and feels
much more responsible dietarily (if that's a word). He feels great
singing and can't wait to get back on the road. We spoke about Bandwagon
and he kind of downplayed it; like it should only be viewed as just a fun
movie and not the quinessential one-the-road band movie. Pretty humble,
but accurate. He also pointed out that the "bar in Alabama" (or was is
Mississippi?) was actually the Comet Lounge, right next door to the
Brewery. One final funny note. I told him how funny the Winn-Dixie song
was and he appreciated it. Their next project is the Candle Scents
song!!!! "Light up a Candle Scents from Glaaaade". That should be
hysterical.
  I talked to Peele last who is the least approachable, yet he will talk
you ears off. He said he broke a toe this Spring and being adamently
against guys wearing sandals, he was relegated to finding some. So he got
some, liked them OK, but was astonished to find that his shoe size had
spread from 12 to 13! I asked him how he has kept up his chops this year
and he said he doesn't until he feels so untalented that he plays out of
rage against himself. He has spent some time trying to learn how to play
with brushes for a song that George wrote.
  They said that they will tour when the record comes out. That will
probably be about late Spring in my estimation.

  In a semi-related story, I went to see The TenderIdols at the Brewery
Friday night, and their suprise opening act was Orbit. Let me just tell
you that Orbit was absolutley AMAZING live. There are only 3 guys, but
they sound so full.
  I hung out with them afterward and they were super, super, super nice.
The drummer, Paul, is one of the most amazing drummers I have seen live.
It isn't that he does that much difficult stuff, but he changes the feel
of songs dramatically and it is so appropriate. If you want to hear one
of the best rocking discs of the 90's get their "Libido Speedway" disc.
It is easily the best disc to come out since Mellon Collie and the
Infinite Sadness.
  The TenderIdols sounded good, but not as good as usual because they are
iin the middle of a bass player search, so they had a temporary guy
playing who isn't singing the harmonies as the old bass player did. They
are recording a new CD and the songs are pretty good, so we'll see. If
you live in the south and see that they are playing, I strongly urge you
to check them out. (They are the Brit-pop band from Atlanta. Believe me,
it does make sense!)

Dana McCall
Raleigh