SCHOLEAD Archives

October 1997

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dennis Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 14:14:48 -0400
Question -- I've been asked by some non-Stelliott folks for permission to
join the listserve.  Thus far, I've not allowed this because of the nature
of the listserve as a place to make announcements and discuss Scholar
Leader-related things.  However, I don't want to make this judgement myself
and would like your opinion, if you have one.  Please let me know your
thoughts.

Discussion item -- I received a note today from Chad Boettcher, former
Scholar Leader, about my reaction to the Promise Keepers movement.  Chad
asked some interesting questions and below is part of my response:
I, like you, have ambivalence about the Promise Keepers movement.  And, I
don't think it's unusual at all for folks like us to have internal conflict
over the philosophy and purpose of such a group.

Not ever having witnessed one of their gatherings, I cannot be a real judge
of what's happening.  I do know that any group that would take a piece of
scripture like, "husbands, subjugate your wives," is taking the Bible at a
literal level with which I'm uncomfortable.  I am not a Biblical literalist
and believe, instead, that the Bible has transcending wisdom and is
divinely inspired (however and through whatever image one might choose),
but humanly written.  With this belief, I do not accept all scripture as
having relevance in the present day.  I also believe that a scripture like
this is inherently oppositional to the real truth of the message of the
Bible -- that we are all human creatures with divine spiritual character
waiting to be awakened.  Because I believe this "truth" (granted -- this is
MY truth and not necessarily that of others), I cannot accept that God
intended for women to be subjugated to me -- especially my wife who would
divorce me if I tried it!!!

All that criticism aside, I believe that there is a pretty amazing healing
process taking place among the men who attend the PK meetings.  A lot of
things in life are not wholly true and good or wholly false and bad.  This
is one of those that I see as a mix and I think those of us observing or
participating in the move for human dignity have to be careful.  Being
careful to me could present the option of joining PK and critically
reflecting and challenging some of its tenets, or, staying outside and
supporting its basic premises but making it clear to others why I choose
not to join.  Thus far, I've chosen the latter.
I'd like to get a little more conversation started on the listserve so
provide this to you to stimulate your thinking and reactions.  Please do
not consider my  response as an assertion of "truth" but simply one
person's perspective -- seeking to understand.

What are your thoughts?  Would love to see some good conversation on this one.

Thanks,
Denny

Dennis C. Roberts
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
111 Warfield Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
(513) 529-3435