WMUB Archives

March 1998

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WMUB 88.5 FM
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:30:00 -0500
I had originally replied privately to the sender of this message, but I
thought the list might want to see my reply as well.

>I do not yet have an opinion of the daily talk shows, though I am
>philosophically disappointed that all the great jazz music which was
>available during the day is gone.
>
>More than that, I am devastated at Fred Hall's program being cut back. I
>look forward to Fred all week. He filled the bulk of most Sunday afternoons
>for me. You may recall, I sent a note recently, applauding Fred Hall, before
>I became aware of any of these changes. Frankly, I miss Bob Long and Tracy
>DiMartini, too. And, while I love Mama Jazz, I miss the great programs which
>were on between 7:00-8:00 p.m. -- Marian McPartland among them.
>
>Change may be inevitable, but it doesn't always improve things. I'm frankly
>not pleased with the changes I see occurring at WMUB.

Thank you for your feedback. Mama Jazz is without doubt the most popular
music host we have, and as good as Marian McPartland is, we felt the local
audience would like to have more Mama. But Marian M. needed a place to go,
and Sunday afternoon seems right. I understand your missing the music and
would not presume to tell anyone that they will like talk better, no matter
how good the shows are to some.

Yes, change is unsettling. We have good reason to think that ultimately the
changes will prove to be beneficial. Time will tell. Thank you for writing.

Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH
513-529-5958, 513-529-6048 FAX
http://www.muohio.edu/wmub/