CONNELLS Archives

April 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dede Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:37:54 -0700
---John Haramis  wrote:
> I'd like to hear more about this incident!  By the way, I think
funnel cake
> may have come from the PA Dutch (though I'm no culinary expert), so I
> wouldn't necessarily term it a southern thing.  Having grown up in the
> north, I can assure you that a funnel cake was present at every county
> fair/community event!
Oh, well, every person of the Northern persuasion I've spoken to
hasn't known what it was, so I just assumed....  Anyway, at some point
during the show, Doug says "Hey, somebody go get me an elephant ear [a
variation on the funnelcake]."  Since my friend Lisa and my brother
Wes were both on their way to a "nature break", I told them to get
Doug an elephant ear while they were near the food stands.  So Wes
comes back with a funnelcake; they hadn't had any elephant ears.  The
friendly security lady helped us hand Doug his funnelcake, which he
held aloft, pronouncing "Elephant ear!  It's the elephant ear!"  He
lays it on the drum riser.  When they came back for encores, Doug
picks up the funnelcake and sails it, Frisbee-like, into the crowd,
leaving behind a drifting cloud of powdered sugar.  It was quite
humourous.

That Doug.  Never a dull moment.

==

Dede
"Out of boredom/ I decided/ I'd get with it"--MCC