CONNELLS Archives

June 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:49:53 EDT
40 watt show--------doors open at 9:30----Connells on stage at 11:30

Advanced tickets at Big Time Records in Athens. $10  (I bought mine the other
day and I got ticket# 4 and 5, so advanced sales haven't been overwhelming)

here is an article in this week's athens free weekly:

Friday, June 5
The Connells / Trish Murphy
40 Watt Club

North Carolina band The Connells pressed on through the fickle '90s with more
than a few scratches while somehow maintaining both their professional dignity
and their recognizable sound that subtle Southern-gothic drowsiness with the
straight bass line and drum beat.
Their new album, Still Life (dedicated to bassist David Connell's wife
Jennifer, who passed away in April), recaptures some of the aristocratic
melancholy of early pieces like "Darker Days" and "Scotty's Lament" as well as
some of the accessibility of Fun And Games. It's a solid collection of pop
songs ("Dull, Brown And Gray" and "Bruised" sound mighty catchy) that manages
to avoid studio slickness.
In a recent interview with Flagpole writer Rav Mansfield, guitarist Mike
Connell commented on Still Life: "The last record was a little dark, a little
brooding. I think this one is a little more upbeat lyrically. The songs on
this album are maybe a reaction against the last record. I think we [the band]
recognized that things were getting a little too somber and that we needed to
brighten things up a bit."