CONNELLS Archives

June 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 18:06:49 -0400
>> Are you crazy??? The Connells have tons of "hook" songs. There are way too
>> many to mention right now but Hey Wow, Fun & Games, Choose a Side, Scotty's
>> Lament, Burden, New Boy, Stone Cold Yesterday, Hats Off, etc. I don't know
>> where you are coming from saying that The Connells aren't a "Hooks" band.
>> Because it is clearly obvious to anyone with or without musical knowledge
>> that the are all about hooks.

>  i can say that i have a musical background, have written many reviews,
>therefore, i can say that the 'nells dont use *hook* songs... take time to
read
>the lyrics, there is more to them then simple rhyming words meant to make
>listeners feel good and sell records. the songs may be catchy but cannot,
by any
>means, be classified as *hook*. take time to read reviews, to read zines,
to get
>more information before classifying this band or others, please...

Um.....a hook isn't always lyrical and it doesn't
always have to be about sales.  The Connells do,
in fact, use many "hooks" in their music: the hooks
are the bits that get stuck in your head and that you
wind up humming, usually at inappropriate moments.
What's wrong with that?

Incidently, back in 1987, the North Carolina
Musicians Directory listed the Connells
as a "Pop" band, which was the classification
Mike wanted to use.  What this boils down to,
since "pop" is all about hooks,
is that either the Connells are a hook laden pop band,
or that they're terrible at their expressed intentions
of writing pop songs, depending on
which of the two postion we take from above.

  IMO they are an incredibly
subversive pop band by virute of the fact that they
attract the listener with catchy hooks, and then
slap them with totally "nonpop" lyrics.
Like Kings; X once said "call it deconstruction."

back to lurker status.
Jon

Cat 'n' Jon's Virtual Space:
http://www.soci.niu.edu/~rocklist/jepstein/index.html