CONNELLS Archives

June 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 1998 09:31:16 -0500
Like all Connells albums, Still Life needs some time to be fully
digested, therefore I wanted to give it a little time to sink in before
I commented.

I would like to officially go on the record as saying I love it. It
lives up to my every expectation with an amazing mixture of tunes. I've
listened to it countless times now and it gets better with every listen,
as is the trend with Connells albums...hence, the staying power in my CD
player.

The Connells is not a "first listen" kind of band. I think this is the
stumbling block for the music critics who have given Still Life
unfavorable reviews. I don't know the process of writing a review, but I
seriously doubt any of these writers have listened to the CD enough
times to get a true picture of the music.

There are, however, several songs that should immediately grab any pop
fan. I can't imagine anyone not tapping his/her foot to "The Leper",
"Circlin" or "Gonna Take a Lie". Perhaps one of these should have been
the first single. I love "Crown", but I can see one of these other songs
catching someone's attention more readily as a first time listener.

I can't say that there is a song on the CD that I don't like. I have a
tough time getting through the CD, though, because I always want to
listen to every song again. :) Even though I'm not a country fan (WHAT?
Someone from Texas who doesn't make Billy Bob's a regular hangout???),
"Curly's Train" is just catchy enough to woo me.

I'm still trying to figure out who wrote what. Perhaps someone could
help me out on this. The songs I know the author include:
"Dull, Brown and Gray" - Mike
"Bruised" - Peele
"Curly's Train" - George
"Glade" - Steve
"Still Life" - Mike
"Gonna Take a Lie" - Peele (is that right?)
"Queen of Charades" - George
"Pedro Says" - David

I know that Mike wrote 6 of the songs, so I guess that leaves Doug as
writing 1. I've been trying to guess which one. I'm going to go out on a
limb and guess "Circlin". I'm probably wrong, but hey, it was worth a
try. :) Speaking of "Circlin", is that Mike singing the BeeGees part? It
definitely rocks.

Anyway, that's my ramblings on the subject for now. I hope you all have
managed to get a copy by now. And I have to say that I'm extremely
jealous of all of you who have been and are going to concerts. I guess
I'll just patiently wait until they make it down my way.

Gem-Ann

www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4400