INNISBRK Archives

June 1998

INNISBRK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Liz Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Innisbrook Program discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:20:43 PST8PDT
Dear CMED folks:
A client who is attempting to benchmark training recently asked:

     As with any company, we spend money each year on training.  We
     would like to know how other companies track and measure 1)
     training activity (i.e., hours, expenses) and 2) training impact
     (i.e., effectiveness of training).

     REGARDING TRAINING ACTIVITY:

     1. Compared to other similar companies (ideally within our
     industry and size), are our expenditures equivalent?  This begs
     the question, how do MOST of those companies measure training
     activity (i.e., in hours, dollars, dollars per student, hours per
     student, hours per year, training investment dollars per overall
     salary)?

     2. How do such companies categorize and track their training
     expenses (e.g., facilities, classes, equipment, training admin
     salaries, trainer costs, etc.)?

     3. Are there efforts on behalf of industry (regardless of whether
     done by industry, academic schools, coalitions, trade groups,
     etc.) at standardizing and reporting such data for benchmarking
     purposes?

     REGARDING TRAINING IMPACT:

     (Note: we are familiar with Kirkpatrick's 4-level Training
     Effectiveness Evalaution Model and are currently attempting level
     3)

     1. Again, compared to other similar companies (ideally within our
     industry and size), are our training outcomes as effective (i.e.,
     how's our batting average compared to the rest of the league)?

     2. How do such companies go about evaluating effectiveness of
     training?  What model(s) do they use and what methodology do they
     use to decide when to evaluate?

     3. Are there efforts on behalf of industry (regardless of whether
     done by industry, academic schools, coalitions, trade groups,
     etc.) at standardizing and reporting such data for benchmarking
     purposes?

     Rather than try to find companies that are measuring training the
     way that we are, we decided to see what measurements are already
     out there so we can start equivalent tracking measures. In other
     words, in order to attempt equivalent comparisons, we must know
     what current measurements are being used by industry.

Thanks for the opportunity to pose these questions.  If you can
respond for your organization -- or your clients -- please e-mail or fax me
(916/278-4602), and I'll forward your comments.

Cordially,
Liz Hough