ALAS Archives

January 1999

ALAS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"[dialect] TICK" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Association of Latin & American Students at Miami University <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:30:08 -0500
To all supporters-

On January 8th, in the midst of yet another snow storm in the Midwest, the
seven students who were arrested for participating in a protest against the
hostile environment for minorities at Miami University and recent
hate-crimes, gathered in the Oxford Courthouse for their pre-trial.

After it was made clear that the City was going to take a "hard-ball"
approach to our case, the attorneys representing the Miami 7 called for a
jury trial.  This decision was not arrived at lightly, nor was it reckless.
 We have been subtlely pressured by the Miami University and Oxford
community to "make this go away," or to take a more "reasonable"
approach--being told that we cannot get a fair trial in Oxford, that it we
"push it" they will deal with us harshly, and that we are putting
ourselves, and our college careers, in jeopardy.  All of this, of course,
has not been said to us "officially" but has come our way via the ever
present rumor-mill, so there is no way of claiming local and university
officials are systematically trying to make this go away through
intimidation or pressure, even if this is the effect.

As I related to you in the last update, we are now in the process of
organizing a student coalition that will serve to carry on the struggle to
bring an equitable, non-violent, and democratic environment to Miami
University and Oxford.  We are also planning on calling for a day of unity
and solidarity among all of us who have been the victims of racist,
homophobic, and sexual violence and those who are actively fighting to
bring justice and democracy to our communities.  We will pass on this call
once the date and place have been decided.  We hope many of you who are
within driving distance will be able to participate.

The Miami 7's trial date is set for February 17-18.  Please come and show
your support!  For all of those who come from out of town, we will be more
than happy to facilitate a place to stay.  We also so hope you will be able
to join us for informal gatherings after the trial for discssion,
organization, food and drink in uptown Oxford.  Thank you all again for
your continued solidarity and support!

Onwards!
Kevin Mahoney