CONNELLS Archives

March 1999

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dede Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:48:12 -0800

> My question to y'all is this:  Since the Connells aren't exactly
> played on
> the radio every day, I'd like to know how you were introduced to the
> band.
O.K., most of ya'll have heard this before, but I'll do it for the
unenlightened.;)

In '86, my family moved from FL to SW Virginia, about 50 miles from VA
Tech (Hi, John!)   There was a local commercial alternative station that
I listened to.  I heard them play "Scotty's Lament" and "Over There"--I
thought the Connells were a British band!  In '88, I heard that the
'Nells were opening for the Church (also a fave of mine) on NC dates,
but unfortunately not in VA.  When F&G came out, the guys played the
Roanoke Civic Center in Roanoke, VA, the day before my birthday, so my
sister and her boyfriend (now husband) paid for my ticket as a b-day
present.  We had gotten into the habit of trying to meet the bands we
saw, so after a kick-ass show, we went round back to see if we could.
Three young guys were there waiting to get their t-shirts signed.  Mike
comes out, sees the 6 of us and says "I didn't know there were so many
people back here!  Ya'll come inside."  We went backstage, got
autographs, took photos, drank beer and had a ball!  The rest is
history.;)

A few more tour dates:  Oglethorpe College in
Atlanta-4/9....students-only show at 5pm; and Norfolk, Va on 5/1...some
outdoor thing like last year....Harbourfest or something?  I'll let you
kknow more when I find out.
===

Dede

"Takin' a ride!