MACTALK Archives

April 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Case <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:22:30 -0400
On 4/26/99 12:31 PM, David Mooter, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A good Quake demo would probably need a RAGE 128 or Voodoo card. The fact
>is that new games require good hardware acceleration for 3D stuff. There
>are even some Windows games that will not run unless it detects a good 3D
>card. Since Quake III is multiplayer only a good demo would have two
>machines for two players. Does anyone have a machine they could bring that
>has lots of RAM and a RAGE 128 or Voodoo to pair up against the iMac that
>is supposed to be at the meeting?

MacCarthy has a Yosemite machine, but I doubt he'd want to bring it. I
was playing Q3 on it the other night and it was very unstable. Of course,
I have a feeling that's because of how MacCarthy runs his machine, rather
than Quake... :)

I played with the Mesaquake drivers tonight and they're really sketchy.
It's like there's lag when you're at a ping of 50. Very jerky.

MacCarthy, what do you think?

Eric Case             | "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
phone: 513.529.7620   |  for they are subtle and quick to anger..."
http://www.eekman.com |  -Gildor Inglorion of the House of Finrod