MCUG Archives

April 1999

MCUG@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Kania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:01:12 +0000
> Also, there was apparently an unrelated virus problem on Friday. I don't
> know the details, but it had something to do with an e-mail message being
> sent around advertizing a patch for MUNet.

Ok, I can help explain the second virus problem a little bit, because a
friend of mine down the hall received it. He got an email from
"[log in to unmask]" that contained an attachment purporting to be a patch
for the MUNet software. Well, his virus-scanning software picked up that
it was actually just Back Orifice, so he told me & I believe sent an
email to the real MCIS. This was their reply: (great big cut & paste
follows :)