MCUG Archives

April 1999

MCUG@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
MCUG Librarian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami Computer Users Group (MCUG)
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:22:00 -0400
I wanted to give you all a heads-up....

I verified this morning that the SAN department has been distributing
Office documents infected with variants of Melissa. These documents have
been sent around the department, and distributed from their handouts server
to students. Looking at the source code for one of them, it looks like the
virus came from the business school, and from somewhere else before that.

Also, there was apparently an unrelated virus problem on Friday. I don't
know the details, but it had something to do with an e-mail message being
sent around advertizing a patch for MUNet.

I am planning on getting MCUG involved in this in whatever capacity
possible. To start, that means informing the student body of the danger and
what to look out for. Down the road a bit, it might be good to offer
workshops on how to get rid of the virus and how to prevent being infected.
If any of you have other ideas, please let me know ASAP. I'll give you
further details tomorrow.

Regards,
Bob
--