MACTALK Archives

May 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kent Covert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 07:50:13 -0400
>I am an avid eBayer, and tonight I bid on and won a NuBus Intel 386
>expansion card made by Orange(?)
>
>I plan to install this expansion card in my Centris 650.  The card doesn't
>come with any documentation or accompanying software (the eBay
>description said it was pulled from a working Mac.)
>
>I'm wondering if anyone out there has installed a NuBus expansion card with
>an Intel chip into any of their systems.  Do they require some sort of
>extension be placed in the system folder to be able to boot through the Intel
>chip?

I'm pretty sure it does.  I have a PCI based one from them, and it
requires extensions and a program to startup the card.  Check at
Orange Micro's web site (http://www.orangemicro.com/) for more
information.

>also, I know the card has four DRAM SIMMs attached (it's like its own mini-
>motherboard, I guess.)  Does this mean the total RAM for the Intel chip is
>whatever is seated on the NuBus card? or will it be able to use the RAM on
>the Centris motherboard (my guess is "no.")?

On mine, the PC does not use the Mac's memory.  It just uses the
memory on the Orange Micro card.

--

Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
Miami Computing and Information Services