MACTALK Archives

October 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dirk S Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:29:59 -0400
>Someone down the hall had a problem with DHCP so I set him manually to a
>really low number (something like x.x.x.12) since DHCP seems to pick mid
>to high numbers. Could this still potentially cause problem?

Any number in use that is not known to the DHCP server can
potentially cause a problem.  Our Networking staff choose ranges of
numbers that are used for networking hardware and other services.
These numbers are in the low and high range of the subnet.  The DHCP
server knows not to give these out to clients, so you should never
see them on client machines.

If Networking needs to add a new device to a subnet, they will pick a
number from that pool to use.  So even though a number may be
available now, it may be selected for use at any time.

If the computer with the manually assigned IP address is in a
residence hall, it's relatively easy to track down the room number so
the conflict could be resolved.  Of course, it would be easier on
everyone if we didn't have to do that.

Thanks,

--
Dirk S. Tepe