MACTALK Archives

October 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dirk S Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:56:40 -0400
>At 10:20 AM -0400 10/29/99, Dirk S Tepe spout forth:
>>Personnally, I'm very disappointed in the priorities that Novell has
>>placed on Prosoft.  Prosoft is just sticking to a contract.  Novell
>>determined the products that would be worked on.  I think the best
>>use of Prosoft's time would be a complete rewrite of a Mac OS client
>>for native NetWare 5 IP service.  It doesn't do us any good to have a
>>patched up client or AppleShare service on the server.
>
>What about a message of encouragement from Miami to Novell to set
>their priorities straight? Granted, Miami probably isn't one of
>Novell's larger licensees, but we're not exactly one of their
>smallest, either, and there could very well be others complaining,
>too. If they feel enough heat, perhaps they'll come to their senses.

We've tried.  Given how hard it is to even get technical support from
them for our current NDS problems, I don't have much hope of
influencing them.  Novell seems to be pretty think headed when it
comes to choosing priorities.

We've also tried talking to Prosoft.  They keep referring to their
contract with Novell that sets the projects.  They are simply a
contractor.  They're not writing this softwar for their own sake.  In
fact, when they began selling the Netware Client for Macs, they had
to establish a sales department because they had never sold a product
before.  Until then, they had only done contract work.

This deal with Novell and Prosoft seemed like a real solution.
Novell has never been able to write good software for the Mac.
Prosoft can.  That part is great, but priorities are messed up,
leaving us with no substantial improvements.

--
Dirk S. Tepe
Knowledge Base Coordinator

mailto:[log in to unmask]