MACTALK Archives

November 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dirk S Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:28:19 -0500
>That's what MUSERVER1.Support is for. We're not going to upgrade that
>server to NetWare 5, so it will continue to run the AppleShare NLM.
>
>Anyone can connect to MUSERVER1 as guest via AppleTalk to access the
>software there.

This works as long as AppleTalk is routed on the network.  That may
not always be true, but should be far enough away that we can find
other solutions.  Sherry's point is a valid one.  If you have only
the AppleShare client loaded (from CD or a new machine) how do you
then load the Netware client.

There are two ways to address this.  First, we can make sure the
Netware Client installer is accessible via the web.  It can be
downloaded and installed on a system and then you can access the
Netware servers for further software install.

Second, we should be sure to keep AppleShare emulation going on
MUServer1.  This means more than AppleTalk.  When an AppleShare IP
compatible  NLM is released, MCIS should purchase it and run it on
MUServer1.  That could continue to provide guest access to the
support volume via IP.

--
Dirk S. Tepe
Knowledge Base Coordinator