I went to the Mound Road access point and found the Caesar Creek water level
at just about the top of its normal range.  There was virtually no shorebird
habitat and I did not see so much as a killdeer.  The Osprey nest is still
occupied.  I got some pictures of Tree Swallows checking out nest crevices
in the snags that stick up out of the water.  On the walk in, I had a
Blue-winged Warbler and a House Wren singing.  (Click
here<http://local.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&z=13&om=1&msid=104411027825639848188.000001121091b9b478454&msa=0>for
an interactive map.)

Over at Spring Valley, the weather got worse and the birds got better. In
the persistent drizzle, I found a Marsh Wren, several Swamp Sparrows,
bunches of Yellow Warblers and several Common Yellowthroats.  I
heard at least five Soras and two Virginia Rails, but was unable to coax
them close enough to get pictures.  I had a brief view of the American
Bittern in flight, but there was no Little Blue Heron and no Sandhill
Cranes.

The most intriguing sighting of the day occurred on my way back down in the
boardwalk. A small dull rail-like bird lifted out of the short vegetation,
flew weakly for a few meters with dangling legs, and dropped back into the
marsh where it disappeared. The intriguing part is that the tips of the
secondaries were white. This might be seen on juvenile Soras or coot, but It
is way too early for either, I think.  Furthermore, I am inclined to dismiss
coot altogether because it did not patter across the water to get airborne.
The only other possibility is adult Yellow Rail. Yellow Rail surely passes
through here in migration, but of course it is famously reclusive. My look
at the bird was so cursory I am not about to take it the OBRC. Others in the
area might want to keep their eyes open, though.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell