Had the good fortune of witnessing some intriguing breeding behavior this
weekend,  not sure how many folks get to see it or notice it when they do.
Around dusk I saw nighthawks "peenting" up in the sky over town and then
flying far up and swooping back down to almost the top of a flat-topped
building  where rocketed back up again accompanied by a 'roar' of the
primaries as it broke the dive.  Apparently over a female on the roof top.
It is an amazing sound and carries quite a distance.  Bent's life histories
has great accounts of this behavior in its volume 1 on cuckoos, goatsuckers,
hummingbirds and their allies.

Keep your eyes and hears open out there and don't forget to send in that
breeding behavior to Aaron Boone.

Pete
Pete Whan
Dir. of Community-based Conservation