Hello All,
The feeder activity yesterday in Wakeman was rather unusual. All day
we had lots of gold finches, house fiches, red polls, junco, white
throats, cardinals, RB & WB nuthatches, downy & hairy woodpeckers and
titmice.  It was bitter cold but the sun was out and water was still
running in the fountain.  By afternoon it had become overcast and not
a gold finch could be found anywhere in the yard. The rest of the
birds remained.  After enjoying gold finches in great volumes all
fall and winter, I was startled that every single one had left.  I
was wondering if this was a change in weather that caused the abrupt
flight and if so, why didn't the other birds leave?  I'd welcome any
insight offline.
BTW, they're back this morning.
Happy Birding
Dorothy & Doug