As I checked my e-mail just now, a song sparrow was singing from the
rhododendron bush outside my window.  They have nested in that bush in years
past.  I have had VERY few sightings of song sparrow in my yard this winter,
just an occasional glimpse feeding under the forsythia tangle where I spread
seed.  Yesterday, the cardinals were singing, not just calling, in our
neighborhood.  (I have seen more sparrows at my uncle's farm, especially
around the house, than I have seen in town.  My uncle and aunt do not feed
the birds.)

The Cooper's hawks have been very active recently in my yard.  I see one or
both almost daily now.  Yesterday, one perched on the clothesline pole
beside the forsythia tangle for several minutes.  Got great looks at her -
the larger one, so most likely the female.

I stopped a few minutes at TJ Evans Park, about a half mile from my home,
which has two small lakes, which I believe are the remnants of previous
quarries.  There was more open water than a week ago, but fewer interesting
waterfowl in evidence, just the expected Canadas, a couple of mallards, and
a couple of coots, along with three or four feral barnyard ducks.

On MLK Day, I had a rare few minutes to do some minimal birding, so I
checked out the quarry near St. Louisville.  A friend's farm overlooks the
quarry, and is a good place to set up the spotting scope.  Among the
hundreds of Canada geese were:

White phase snow goose - 1

Hooded merganser - pair, male still in basic plumage

American coots - 3

Mallards - 2 pairs

Redheads - 5 - two pairs and a single male

Mute swans - 3, appeared to be first winter, mostly dirty-looking whitish
color

I'm always a little hesitant to count a mute swan at TJ Evans Park, since I
know that sometimes there are feral barnyard and released waterfowl, but I
believe that these at the quarry were truly "wild".

As others have mentioned, there was quite a bit of diversity in the size of
the Canada geese.  A very few were quite large, but most of the ones on the
quarry, in the water and on the ice, were substantially smaller.  I
"counted" them, not because I cared about the numbers, but because it forced
me to look at every individual goose.  No cackling geese or greater
white-fronted, just the one snow goose.  Maybe next time.

Other signs of spring:  I'm looking forward to a birding trip to Utah and
Nevada in late June and July, and I'm working on getting in shape for a trek
up the Ruby Mountains in search of the Himalayan snowcock.  Isn't that what
birders do in February, dream?  And, I've gotten my notebook and maps out of
the closet in anticipation of a start-up of the OBBA II in my seven blocks,
in April, May and June.  I may have sighted a great horned owl nest, but
it's not in one of my blocks.  If I confirm, I'll report it anyway.

Awaiting "real" spring in Licking Co.,

Margaret Bowman