Yesterday Troy Shively, John Habig, Glen Crippen and I spent sixteen
hours afield in Ohio seeing as many bird species as we could in a single
day--103 in this case. As far as we know, no one else has done this.
Those who are thinking "so what?" need read no further.
        Both of you who are still reading will know that Big Days can be
absorbing. They'll make use of what you know about Ohio birds--their
habits and habitats, seasonal occurrences, field marks and calls, etc.
You must plan a maximally productive route given the time available.
They also require stamina--from half-sprints over rough terrain to find
birds as quickly as possible to tedious periods on the road--as well as
strength of character--the ability to take repeated disappointments and
to reject half-baked identifications and unappetizing snack food.
        Thanks to all who made timely and reliable reports of interesting
species, for you helped us plan our trip. You'll understand of course
why we cannot reveal our confidential itinerary, nor certain
extraordinary measures undertaken. We can only say they were entirely
within the strictures of ABA rules, even as to such details as our
footwear and the terms of our modest corporate sponsorships.
        We missed five common species, whose names I will not share lest I
embarrass the team. The secret of a good Big Day outcome is getting all
the commoner species. We didn't find any rarities.  Still, five
Louisiana waterthrushes were nice for a day in March and a count of 23
waterfowl species was good for one day just about anytime.
        As far as we know, 103 is a new March record for Ohio. The previous
record of 101 was set by Becky Cullen and Greg Links not long ago when
in the course of doing a modest Wood County Big Day they were doing so
well that during the last hours they detoured into Lucas County to tally
101. Northwestern Ohio birders are among the very best Big Dayers, so we
expect they'll be surpassing our number soon enough.
Bill Whan
Columbus