Hello all,

Iıve been vigorously searching the Olentangy River for ducks. The only ducks
Iıve ever seen on campus are Mallard, Wood Duck, and Lesser Scaup. Iım
trying to add a few species. Every day I check the river at dawn and dusk,
hoping for some flying along or actually sitting on the river. Is this the
best method for seeing a Hooded Merganser, Bufflehead, American Black Duck,
etc.? Youıd think with over 1000 ducks/geese flying over today, Iıd see more
than 2 species. If anyone has any information on how I can improve my
chances, Iıd be forever grateful!!

Now, on to todayıs numbers. There was quite an impressive movement of birds.
Iıll let the numbers speak for themselves:

Canada Goose- 250, exactly- funny it came out to this number, and there were
NO Cackling Geese
Mallard- 811!!, lots of high-flying flock headed south
Sharp-shinned Hawk- 1
Cooperıs Hawk- 3
Northern Harrier- 1*** First for my campus list, #149- what will be #150?
Will it come tomorrow?
Red-tailed Hawk- 6
Ring-billed Gull- 152
Bonapartes Gull- 16* two different flocks flying down river today, only the
second time Iıve ever seen them on campus!
Brown-headed Cowbird- 11* All my efforts searching through the 1000+
starling flock has finally paid off!

Good birding,

Sean

---
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt
Ohio Wesleyan University
HWCC 724
Delaware, OH 43015
617-470-4094