-----Original Message-----
From: Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Odile Sullivan-Tarazi
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Predicate adjectives: three questions

Bill,

I am so sorry -- I didn't spot your response until just now.  Well,
what got me started down the object complement path was seeing a
reference to it in Curme.  He says that a predicate adjective can be
either a subject or object complement, but I have not read deeply
into that passage.  Perhaps it is better to set this one aside and
think of it independently of the other questions.

In terms of the predicate adjective as subject complement, is there
any compelling reason for that structure to be limited to the main
clause of the sentence?  That is, and here I'm repeating myself, can
not adverbial, adjectival, and nominal clauses (all of which, to my
mind, demonstrate the same structural capabilities as main clauses in
terms of the relationship of the predicate phrase to the subject of
the clause) all contain predicate adjectives?  Adjectives, that is,
functioning as predicate adjectives within their own clause.

What is your take on this issue?

Odile

At 2:52 PM -0400 3/18/10, Spruiell, William C wrote:
>Odile and Bruce:
>
>There is what is arguably a subclass of these constructions that sounds
>odd (to me, at least) with a "to be" paraphrase:
>
>The sheer badness of the movie rendered me speechless.
>*The sheer badness of the movie rendered me to be speechless.
>
>And to a lesser extent, and with an NP rather than AdjP --
>
>They made me secretary.
>?They made me to be secretary.
>

>What these *mean*, of course, depends on what you want to count
>paraphrases for in your approach. One possibility allows them as
>evidence for taxonomic arguments. Another is to allow them as evidence
>for elided or null elements (and you can do both, of course). I can't
>think of an empirical way to support a claim that either or both of
>those approaches is "right" or not.
>
>If you *do* consider those examples relevant, though, I'd suggest that
>they would support a view in which object complements can't be viewed
as
>subject complements to an elided predicate, unless you want to reserve
>"object complement" as a label only for constructions for which the
>paraphrase works (in which case you'd presumably need another label for
>the second complement of "render").
>
>Side note: "Predicate adjective," I think, has been defined in a number
>of ways historically. Whether or not an OC can also be a pred. adj.
>probably hinges on the specific definitions being used. In the K-12
>school grammar tradition, I've only seen pred. adj. used for subject
>complements...but then, the same tradition sometimes doesn't discuss
>object complements at all.
>
>Bill Spruiell

consideration
>has something to do with what the color designation is, i.e., that it
>might be some other color for other people, but her stance had made it
>red for her purposes.  Here again the car becomes red by virtue of the
>consideration.
>
>2) Here the question seems to be about whether the slot in a
subordinate
>structure can be inherited by the super-ordinate elements.  Maybe the
>problem is that an adjective in a subject complement slot needs a
>subject to refer to, and the subject of the subordinate clauses, i.e.,
>phrases, is missing.  Your examples are not complete, so the possible
>slot conflicts are not clear.  Note: "The car, by her considered red,
is
>green" seems to be telling us that there is no problem in sharing
>subjects.  There are really two propositions, each having a "predicate
>adjective."  This would take the "predicate adjective" as a semantic
>concept, in which terms it was originally defined.  If it must be used
>as a syntactic term, then it would appear that some mechanism for
>subordination would have to be worked out.
>
>3) This question displays perhaps more clearly the way slots in simple
>sentences have to be modified to work in the related syntax of
>subordinate structures.  I think the theoretical constructs need to be
>multiplied, i.e., divided.  I have tried to do this in the past by
>building a grammar in terms of a set of regular and systematic
>paraphrases that will reduce even the most complex sentence into a
>series of simple sentences containing a limited number of slots.  I
>think that paraphrases that are strict with maintaining semantic
>"equivalence" can be most instructive to students learning English.
>Where one language will permit one pattern with a certain
>interpretation, another will not.  The student's native language seems
>to have its own set of patterns and pattern equivalences.
>
>Bruce

interface at:
and select "Join or leave the list"

and select "Join or leave the list"