I was at home this morning and had some time to watch the lake.  The lake
had been iced over since early February.  There have been varying amounts of
open water, but it has been mostly frozen.  Yesterday the winds blew the ice
out and this morning the only ice was a small amount of broken ice along
shore.  The winds today blew the ice back in and this evening the lake was
again mostly ice-covered.

There was a nice movement of waterfowl early, but things slowed down early.
Gull numbers were very low.  Birds of note was an adult male harlequin duck.
I was able to get a photo.  The bird was a quarter mile out and it kept
disappearing in the high waves.  I was amazed to get a decent photo of it.
The photo can be seen at the link below.  Also of note today were 4 surf
scoters, 4 white-winged scoters, and a peregrine falcon.

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7170
<http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7170&PID=21768&#21768>
&PID=21768&#21768

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County

February 20, 2013, 0715-1000

Weather- partly cloudy, Wind- W 25-35

Temperature 22  F, Barometer- 30.03-30.05

Humidity-  76, dew point- 15-16

Waves- 5-7 feet, Direction- west

Greater scaup   6

Lesser scaup   1