Saw my first turkey vulture of the season on South Bass Island on Saturday, March 14. Elizabeth Heineman had seen one the day before.

Have had large flocks of red-winged blackbirds on the island now for a week-counted 150 on the ground near the South Bass Island Lighthouse this morning. Lots of waterfowl, tundra swans, and horned larks flying overhead while on the ice.

This morning I noticed the first open water to the northeast of Scheeff East Point Preserve with over 200 common goldeneye! Must be spring soon!

Lisa Brohl