The 1st bird walk as part of the Birds in the Hills Festival this weekend was led by Bruce Simpson, Naturalist at Blendon Woods Metro Park in Columbus. A group of 16 participants pooled in 5 cars birded at five locations along Baptist Chuch Road, Atkinson Ridge Road, and Hope-Moonville Road in Zaleski State Forest.

I counted a total of 36 species, including an early morning stroll I took by myself. Bruce knows the area well and led us to experience 12 Wood Warblers!

Happy Spring birding!

Stefan Gleissberg
Athens, Ohio
==

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis
Wood Duck - Aix sponsa
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus

Eastern Phoebe - Sayornis phoebe
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos
Carolina Chickadee - Poecile carolinensis
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor
Carolina Wren - Thryothorus ludovicianus
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Polioptila caerulea
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - Regulus calendula
Wood Thrush - Hylocichla mustelina
American Robin - Turdus migratorius

Ovenbird - Seiurus aurocapilla
Louisiana Waterthrush - Parkesia motacilla
Blue-winged Warbler - Vermivora cyanoptera
Black-and-white Warbler - Mniotilta varia
Common Yellowthroat - Geothlypis trichas
Hooded Warbler - Setophaga citrina
American Redstart - Setophaga ruticilla
Cerulean Warbler - Setophaga cerulea
Northern Parula - Setophaga americana
Pine Warbler - Setophaga pinus
Yellow-throated Warbler - Setophaga dominica
Prairie Warbler - Setophaga discolor

Chipping Sparrow - Spizella passerina
White-throated Sparrow - Zonotrichia albicollis
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia
Eastern Towhee - Pipilo erythrophthalmus
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater
American Goldfinch - Spinus tristis