======
Date:         Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:10:30 +0000
Sender:       Ohio birds <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      Hoover Reservoir, Delaware County

=C2=A0 Today Shaune Skinner, AndySchneider and I launched the H.M.S. Hoover=
 and monitored the northeastern partsof Hoover Reservoir. From the start we=
 had an omen that we were in for a goodday of birding. As we headed north f=
rom the launch ramp our first species wasto our wonderment a Common Loon in=
 breeding plumage. We almost didn=E2=80=99t pay closeattention as there wer=
e numerous Double Crested Cormorants around. Andyrealized it was a Common L=
oon and we slowly boated past it wondering what itwas doing on Hoover Reser=
voir in June. =C2=A0Shortly afterward we spottedan adult Bald Eagle soaring=
 over the water. It made several graceful swoopsnear the surface and then f=
lew up to the top of a tall tree where there was thenest with the other adu=
lt on it. This was a new nest location. The nest I havebeen watching for ye=
ars was abandoned earlier this year. It appears the pairhas relocated and i=
s retrying to nest this year.=C2=A0My main objective was tomonitor the Prot=
honotary Warbler population and determine population trends,territory locat=
ions and look for individuals that were banded in previousyears. In that re=
gard it was a very good day. We observed 23 males and 5females in the area =
we checked today. Ten banded individuals were observed. =C2=A0Yellow-billed=
 Cuckoos were inabundance as we observed 13. =C2=A0We located multiplewoodp=
ecker nest locations. Some had young outside the nest looking for ahandout =
whereas the fun was the sites where the young were sticking their headsout =
to take in their new world. These included Red-headed Woodpeckers (11),Red-=
bellied Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers and Pileated Woodpeckers (5).=C2=A0A=
long with the 2 pair ofOsprey in Galena, both on a nest platform and using =
a natural nest, we observedother Osprey far south of Galena, close to the S=
unbury Road causeway.=C2=A0In total we observed 56species, not bad for mid-=
June.=C2=A0Charlie Bombaci=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0H=
oover Nature Preserve=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0