ÑTMIAMIOH.EDU
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Possible Harris's Hawk, 6/6 Holmes County

Ben Morrison just passed on a very credible report from an experienced birder who apparently saw a Harris's Hawk last night sitting and flying near the intersection of Twshp Rd 256 & Twshp Rd 257 west of Millersburg in Holmes County. No photos obtained but a very clear description given. There is one Ohio record from Pickaway County in 1917 and the species has a track record of vagrancy (although the date doesn't fit well into this pattern) but is also a very common falconry bird so if anyone relocates this bird observe the legs for any bands, or leather as carefully as you can and observe the behavior carefully as well.
Kent Miller