From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2024 12:57:32 -0400
Both places were muddy, sloppy messes and overall bird activity was low esp for migrants but it was worth it all when near the end of my walk at Morris Woods, I heard some redstarts that sounded close enough that I might actually see them. When I saw some movement right in front of me, it was not a redstart but a gorgeous Canada Warbler staring at me (FOY)! I was able to watch it for a time & it caught then ate a caterpillar. But then one of the male redstarts chased it away. I heard the Canada sing once after it flew but never saw it again.

At Denison, I got decent looks at a perched & calling Least FC. Also saw a Scarlet Tanager male that appeared to have what Sibley calls a variant coloration: a quite orangey red rather than the usual deep scarlet. Almost reminded me of a Vermillion FC coloration. In any case, I don’t think I’ve seen one that color before. Green heron was the FOY for Denison.

Denison
Warblers
Blackpoll, heard only
Am Redstart
Com YT
N Parula
Yellow
Ovenbird
La WT
Yellow-rumped

WE & RE Vireos
Least FC
E Phoebe
E Wood Peewee
Acadian FC
E Kingbird
Scarlet Tanager
RB Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
Wood Thrush
Pileated, Red-headed & Hairy WPs
Tree & Barn Swallows
Wood Duck—hen with 5 ducklings, the attrition has begun…
Green Heron
Red-shouldered Hawk

Morris woods
Warblers
Canada FOY
Am Redstart
BT Blue
B&W
Yellow
Ovenbird

WE, RE & Yellow-throated (had good views) Vireos
Veery—still just calling, no singing heard
Wood Thrush
Red-headed WP
E Wood Peewee
Scarlet Tanager