From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2024 15:01:34 -0400
This was my first spring trip to this area. I did pretty well on warblers although the ever-thickening leaves made spotting them difficult except for Yellow-rumpeds which were very cooperative. Ceruleans were singing late into the day as were N Parulas. Had good looks at a singing FOY Chestnut-sided (Marie Hickey Tr where I got the most species of warblers). Listened for Worm-eating but no luck. Also got FOY Acadian FC, Blue-headed Vireo & Great Egret.

I started on the Marie Hickey Trail, then the Lock trail and the paved main trail at the Gorge. At the pond in the Dillon wildlife area across from the Gorge parking lot, one Trumpeter Swan was on its v large nest sharing it w/a pair of Canada Geese. Maybe a beaver lodge? I looked for its mate but sight lines are limited there & I didn’t see another. A couple DC Cormorants & a few Wood Ducks were there also.

After that, I checked the beach at Dillon but only saw Great Blue Herons & a few Ring-billed Gulls & DC Cormorants then I walked some of the trails at the Horseman’s Camp.

Warblers
Chestnut-sided FOY
Blue-winged
Cerulean
Yellow-throated—gorgeous looks at one singing & gleaning in a spot of sun
N Parula
Ovenbird
KY
Black-thr Green
La WT
B&W
Com YT
Nashville
TN
Yellow
Yellow-rumped
Am Redstart
Hooded (Horsemen’s Camp area, heard only)

Vireos: Blue-headed FOY—great looks, White-eyed, Red-eyed, Yellow-throated (saw one with nest material in its bill)
Acadian FC FOY
E Phoebe
Great Cr FC
Swainson’s Thrush
Wood Thrush
E Bluebird
Catbird
Scarlet Tanager—good looks at a female
Rose-br Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting incl one female
Baltimore Oriole
Pileated WP
Great Egret FOY standing in river by Blackhand Gorge
Great Blue Heron
Wood Duck
Trumpeter Swan
DC Cormorant
Ring-billed Gull
Rough-winged Swallow
Sparrows: White-thr, Song, Field, Chipping
Towhees

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad