ADHS Archives

January 2010

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Roman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:24:37 -0500
David,

I don't have any hard data to support this, but it is crystal clear
that Crown Royal is the spirit drink of choice in the southern African
American adult male community.  I cannot identify another Canadian
whiskey of such popularity, but given the premium price of Crown Royal
it is likely that there is "spillover" attraction to Canadian whiskies
with similar identification.

I think the KY TN whiskey market has been very saturated over the past
decades, and I recall a very popular KY whiskey when I first moved
here, Rebel Yell, that curiously has seemed to practically disappear,
perhaps in concert with other social and demographic changes.  On the
other hand, "Jack" remains extremely popular, and I would guess it
ranks near or at the top as the liquor of choice for the hard drinking
UGA male student population.  "Jack and Coke" seems to be a southern
identification ritual among both males and females.

I am not in any way an expert on alcohol marketing and distribution,
but I have the impression that "white" spirits have become
increasingly popular.  This may include people who have shifted away
from bourbon and Tennessee whiskey.  I don't think the transition of
choice was to another "brown" liquor.  This may sound exaggerated, but
I cannot recall ever having seen a Caucasion southerner drinking
Canadian whiskey or any of the blended "rye" whiskies that are popular
in the north.  Scotch is of course another story.

I have lived in the South for 42 years, and my residence for the past
22 years has been in a rural community which has offered a lot of
opportunity for these observations.

Paul

--
Paul M. Roman PhD
Distinguished Research Professor of Sociology and Director, Center for