OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2013

From:
Lisa Rainsong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 15 Feb 2013 13:27:19 -0500591_ISO-8859-1 In the two locations where I regularly find Savannah Sparrows in
winter time in the Cincinnati area (they are present all winter) they
are in weedy fields away from water. In past years at one of the
locations it seems as if they preferred short vegetation (ie less than
12"). However, this year I have found more birds in waist high
vegetation. I have found them to be very secretive in winter time,
much more so than any of the other regularly occurring sparrows. They
do not respond to pishing, fly very low when flushed and usually dive
back into [...]42_15Feb201313:27:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 00:22:35 -0500
White-winged Crossbills were again present in the very large sweet gum in Lake View Cemetery's Section 8. Tom Olson first found White-winged Crossbills in this tree, and I subsequently saw them on January 31st.  I did not find them there on February 1st, but today there were 7 or 8 birds - mostly males.

I have not seen the White-winged Crossbills at Bertram Woods Library in Shaker Heights (first reported by Lisle Merriman) since my astonishingly close encounter with these birds on January 30th.  I have checked on three days since then, but they have moved on.

A map of Lake View Cemetery's sections can be found at their web site.

Lisa Rainsong
Cleveland Heights