From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2024 12:26:09 -0400
Got out before it was too warm. Bird activity low but I was very surprised to hear a Cerulean Warbler singing at Lobdell, first one for this reserve for me. I’ve never seen or heard it at Denison either, one of the few warblers I don’t have there (Worm-eating being another). It sang for quite awhile so I got some recordings but I could not spot it high in the canopy. I tried different angles/trails but never spotted it. Also heard YB Cuckoo there.

I was dismayed that the latest project at Denison is to clear areas of “invasive species”. They cleared a large area by the ponds of all the scrubby undergrowth which was one of the best areas for Mourning & CT Warblers as well as La Waterthrush & also where I saw the only Prothonotary for denison. I also saw my only Golden-winged Warbler near there. They are also widening the trails & using gas-powered trimmers on the edges. I did not hear any KY Warblers today so I really doubt they are nesting this year but I hope I’m wrong. I missed Mourning warbler this spring at denison—I’ve had 1-3 almost every spring there.

Denison
Warblers
Yellow
La WT
Redstart

Chat
E Kingbird
Great-crested, Acadian FCs
Peewee
RE, WE & YT Vireos
Wood Thrush (numbers seem down this year)
Wood Duck

Lobdell
Warblers
Cerulean (heard only—first recorded by me there)
Yellow
Redstart
N Parula
La WT